Tuesday, November 15, 2011

5,000 bean counters

OK, here I am coming to you live via the miracle of modern technology atop the seat of my big yellow trike here at the c...

I had the brilliant idea of blogging live from my bike last night, but that's as far as I got. (In case you're wondering, the last part of that sentence was supposed to be "corner of Royal and Toulouse".) The blogspot interface on my Android phone turned out to be virtually impossible to work with, and I finally got frustrated and gave up. I was making good money, -- more on that later -- so I didn't want to waste a lot of time sitting on a street corner trying to type invisible text onto a microscopic keyboard.

There are 5,000 H&R Block people in town for their annual convention, so transporting accountants was the bulk of my business by far last night. This produced a kind of good news/bad news situation.

Bad news first: They were every bit as boring as you would expect accountants to be. Nobody was drunk. (Though it was Monday night and the first day of their convention. so they may start to cut loose later in the week.) Nobody said anything outrageous. Nobody even said anything at all to me about my calves (though I did overhear them remarking to one another a couple of times). I finished the evening without any compelling stories for you, my readers.

The good news is that I made a ton of money! Thanks to the generosity of H&R convention-goers, I exceeded my financial target (set by the company) for the first time last night.

If you were to say to me, "Bean counters are boring," I wouldn't have any reason to disagree. But if you were to say, "Bean counters are stingy," I would be obligated to stand up to you and defend them against a vicious and baseless prejudice!

No comments:

Post a Comment