Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The fly in the Sugar Bowl

In the interest of full disclosure let me start by saying that I did have a dog in the race -- albeit one very recently acquired. I picked up the mother of Hokies quarterback Logan Thomas on my pedicab last Friday. She seemed like a really nice lady, and I promised her that I would root for Virginia Tech for her sake.

I wasn't working the game, so I watched it on TV. Whenever they showed the view of the Superdome from the blimp cam I tried to catch a glimpse of my colleagues patrolling Poydras on their pedicabs, but they always cut away too quickly for me to get a good look.

Concerning the game itself, it was a hard-fought battle between two well matched adversaries, and I think that Mrs. Thomas had good reason to be proud of her son's performance.  He made some impressive plays both rushing and passing. In the end I was disappointed to see him denied a beautiful touchdown pass in OT by a questionable call from the review booth. I told some Hokies fans this morning that it looked to me like they got robbed and that last night's game should probably be included in the Crescent City's crime stats.

For those of you who would question my right to question the call of those who are highly trained and highly paid to make those kinds of calls, I'd like to pass on a story told to me by a friend from Kosova.

There was a terrible traffic accident and two victims were lying on the road. When the doctor arrived on the scene, he checked them out and pronounced them both dead.

"NO!" one protested vehemently. "We're not dead!"

"Would you shut up?" said his companion. "Where did you get the idea that you're smarter than the doctor?"

1 comment: